Sunday, May 24, 2009

Rainbow Connection


Oh how I love this song, popularized by Lea Salonga of the Miss Saigon fame. That was, when she was yet a kid. You may listen to her at youtube and she will cast a spell on you as she sings with her young angelic voice.
Life is like a rainbow. In high school, we were taught to memorize the colors of the rainbow using a certain code, ROYGBIV. R stands for red, O for orange, Y for yellow, G for green, B for blue, I for indigo and V for violet. A very helpful code. But for me, the colors of the rainbow represent so many things in life.
When I am mad and angry, I am RED. I’d wish my eyes would be in hot flaming red when I am angry at monsters roaming around. These monsters are the people who are out to destroy other people, believing that I would outsmart them. I’d love to call them monsters and yes, I’ve vindicated myself of my poor existence.
I would be an ORANGE when I feel a little bit forgiving, almost at the verge of anger. I would be thinking a little bit better than my opponents, the monsters. Hey, this is the real me? I am normal and I feel very normal when I feel anger, rage, fury and antagonism. Who’s not, anyway. I will tell you, you’re not a normal human being if you don’t feel red and orange. Reality check, my friends.
I couldn’t define myself when I am YELLOW. Maybe, it’s a sign when I am sick, when I am down with the flu. But when leaves turn yellow, it’s a sign that fall and autumn is at the bend.
GREEN means new life, new hope. I want to deal with green positively. I’ll never want to take the negative thought of turning me “green with envy”. Because green for me means a positive outlook in life. I love green because it represents my love for nature, my love for the scenic green, and the mountains with tall green trees, the vast ricefields while the palay are still growing up. The color green is pleasant to the eyes. It gives a refreshing feeling every time we look at the green panoramas around us.
Believe it or not but this is my favorite color. BLUE doesn’t mean I am blue, and I am sad. Blue to me is a color that gives me peace and quiet and contentment in life. It feels so cool in the eyes. My bed sheet is blue, my pillow case is blue. The curtains in my room are blue. The painting on the wall of my room is blue. And my electric fan is blue, my drawers are blue. Blue is everywhere in my room. And I love to stay in my room because it gives me a feeling of peace and contentment.
Between blue and violet is INDIGO. It’s hard for me to define and relate indigo to life. I would only interpret it this way. When you’re not blue and you’re not violet, then for sure you are indigo.

VIOLET represents women. Others would relate violet to mourning. But for me, it would represent women’s liberation. Gone were the days when women are left at home to care for the kids and the needs of the husband. We celebrate women’s day every February and that calls for a celebration of our liberation. Let’s associate violet with the positive and never with the negative.  
Below are the lyrics of the song Rainbow Connection. Let me share it with you and you may give it some serious thoughts while you associate or relate it to your real-life situations. 
Why are there so many songs about rainbows
and what's on the other side?
Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
and rainbows have nothing to hide.
So we've been told and some choose to believe it.
I know they're wrong, wait and see.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

Who said that every wish would be heard
and answered when wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of that and someone believed it.
Look what it's done so far.
What's so amazing that keeps us star gazing
and what do we think we might see?
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

All of us under its spell. We know that it's probably magic.

Have you been half asleep and have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name.
Is this the sweet sound that called the young sailors.
The voice might be one and the same.
I've heard it too many times to ignore it.
It's something that I'm supposed to be.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

And what’s in a rainbow? It makes us a hopeless romantic, a lover, a dreamer. Because we may believe that when we wish our wish may come true when we see a rainbow in the sky. There’s also a promise that at the end of the rainbow is a pot of gold.

Photos by: flopper @flickr.com; Nicolas Valentin @flickr.com; Zeb Andrews@flickr.com

2 comments:

  1. Life is amazingly colorful and so are our souls. I like to believe that i am green... at least i am striving to this, hoping to achieve the beauty and serenity and sincerity of green :)


    PS: I love this song, one of my favourites :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know, i have a classmate who's blogsite he named Fragments of my Soul. He is also as good as you. He was the one who inspired me to create my own blogsite and it's good that I did what he said. Things are turning out great for me because of blogging. Thanks to him and of course to you also for you gave me more insights into the world of blogging.

    ReplyDelete